Saturday, October 2, 2010

Welcome to my gardening blog

Welcome to my vegetable gardening blog. I live in a suburb of Boston, MA and currently have a 20 foot by 5 foot raised bed garden. My soil is poor here, so I have brought in a lot of compost from our town compost pile. It is good stuff, but there are a lot of weed seeds in it, so I've been doing a lot of weeding. I have been generally using Jeavon's raised bed, organic techniques. I double dug my bed, added compost and enclosed it with 8 inch wood sides. I bought rough sawn lumber and painted it with house paint to make it last a little longer.













This year's plantings included 5 varieties of lettuce, spinach, radishes, bush beans, celery, broccoli, carrots and tomatoes. I am also looking to extend my season with a plastic row cover.

My bush beans















My lettuce
















I also have a small plot next to the house. I use it both as a cold frame and this year for tomatoes as well.






This is my low tunnel. More details on how I built it and how well it works in a future post.


Well, that's it for my first post. More info on the status of my early October garden next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home