Monday, February 20, 2012

My first 'root cellar' experiment

I had good luck with my first attempt at storing carrots in a 'root cellar' this year. I followed the directions at this link. I didn't slice the tops off the carrots as described in the link; I just cut the leaves off close to the tops. Basically I carefully harvested my carrots, removed the green tops, put them in a 5 gallon pail lined with a plastic bag and covered them with peat moss. I added some water to the peat moss to moisten in. I put the pail in a cool part of my cellar in early December. I dug out some carrots today, 2.5 months later, and they were just as crisp as when I harvested them; they are just sweeter. I'm excited that this worked so well; now I know I can grow more carrots next season and keep them fresh for months at a time.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home