Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wood chips applied, waiting for spring

I took the following video of my progress in applying wood chips to my garden.



I decided to expand part of my garden with a new 5' x 20' section on top of existing lawn. I put down 4 layers of newspaper and covered that with 4 to 5 inches of wood chips in late November. I will be interested in how much the grass has broken down by the time I plant next May or June.

I understand that Paul does not recommend planting in raised beds because they tend to dry out quicker than the surrounding soil. In the bio-intensive gardening method I have been following up to this point, raised beds are a central concept. I have decided to keep my beds for the time being, since the soil inside them is much better than the surrounding soil. As the sides rot out over time, I may not replace them, especially if I have good results with BTE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home