Sunday, May 12, 2013

Green house up and first plantings in my Back To Eden garden

This is my first season growing with the Back to Eden method of using wood chip mulch. I put my wood chips down over my garden beds, last fall. I have noticed an abundance of worms when I dig and the ground underneath is soft and workable, not dried out in clumps, like last season.

I put up my temporary greenhouse in mid April and transplanted some lettuce, spinach, broccoli and scallions into the garden beds. I was careful to move the wood chips back and plant in the soil. My transplants have just been sitting there, not growing that much. My broccoli all went to seed. A week ago, I added some blood meal around the base of the plants, in case the soil is low in nitrogen.





A couple weeks ago, I planted some seeds in my beds. I pulled back the wood chips and planted snow peas, lettuce, spinach, broccoli and radishes in the ground. Nothing has come up so far except for the peas. One thing I found is that the wood chips I had hilled up, would fall back down on top of where I planted the seeds, when I watered. I plan to replant these areas of my beds. This time I will move the wood chips from the area I am planting and put them on the pathways. Once my plants start growing, I'll side dress with wood chips from the pathways.

Some of my carrots wintered over and are now growing vigorously. I can't wait to try them!

In my other bed, my asparagus has come up and looks to be thriving. I planted it last year, so I understand I can't harvest any until next year, which will be the 3rd growing season. I planted some potatoes that were sprouting in my basement, into my bed about a month ago. Most of the plants have popped up through the wood chips. My sweet potatoes arrived Friday that I ordered from Johnny's Seeds up in Maine. They sent me 'slips' which are rooted stems with some leaves on top. I started planting them yesterday and finished today

Asparagus doing well


Last year's sprouting potatoes used as seed potatoes this year



Sweet potato slips being planted




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home